Ciao & benvenuto, I’m Sheila. Married to my own Super Mario, as his preschool kiddies call him! Mom to 2, grandma of 9, and missionary in Italy since 1989. My husband was born in a quaint village of southern Italy and is an Italian citizen, but raised in the Bronx by non English-speaking parents. Whereas I, though born and raised in Michigan, hold dual citizenship. While I love my native homeland, I consider myself to be American born, with an Italian heart!
Our missionary journey started with Mario’s burden to share the Good News with his people.
We set out with basically nothing. Just two kids and eight suitcases. No support base, no income or money in the bank, no property or assets, and very little cash.
Little did we then know that Italy is known as the missionary graveyard. Or that most missionaries leave after only a few years because of depression, lack of results, bureaucracy, corruption, and cultural difficulties. But we’re still here 30 years later. And that’s living proof of God’s faithfulness!
Along our long and varied path of shoestring-budget missionary living, we have moved over 50 times.
And lived in everything from a tarantula-infested camper (shudder) to a tent. And even in an old chicken coop, so cozy the chickens kept returning! We’ve gone without, been abundantly blessed, and learned countless lessons along the way.
We count it a blessing to live in this beautiful land, a privilege to serve these wonderful people, and your visit here as an honor and joy! And we hope you’ll take a moment to introduce yourself!
12 random facts about me:
- I am an INFJ personality type, and Galadriel on the Lord of the Ring’s personality chart (made by our most talented daughter and son-in-law)! INFJs are often known as old souls and false introverts.
- I’m the opposite of my husband who is an ESFJ personality type, and Bilbo on the Lord of the Ring’s personality chart. Our daughter says he is the most extroverted person she’s ever known.
- I love simple homey things, like sunsets, strolls through town or on the beach, hedgehogs, camping vans, fireplaces, ladybugs, flowers, chickens, goats, cats, and baskets.
- I love to read and write. I’ve been writing stories ever since I can remember, and I read everything, even cereal boxes.
- I’m a great cook who does not like to cook.
- I love simple living, minimalism, and earth care.
- My favorite foods are coffee, pizza, pasta, cheese, and gelato. (And yes, coffee is a food.)
- I don’t like house pets and am beyond terrified of anything with more than 6 legs.
- I love color and my house is full of it.
- My greatest material blessings are my comfy mattress, feather pillow, window screens, pellet stove, feather comforters, and clotheslines. And I much prefer practical gifts!
- I have an overactive imagination and a
love ofan addiction to change.
- But the greatest change I love is that God is still patiently working me. I have a long way to go, but I know that he will complete the good work that he began in me.
And I’m ever grateful that the Lord never changes. He remains the same, and is the rock on which I stand. I’m grateful his unchanging love and his mercies which are new every morning.
And I hope you leave here knowing him in the same way. And with a desire to serve him with reckless abandon!
[Images are our own.]